On 5 August 1862, a small parcel of land measuring 2 acres and 2 roods was reserved for the site of a public cemetery "for Mordialloc and South Moorabbin". This is earliest known instance of the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery which opened on 3 Oct 1864 though the first interment did not take place until the following March.
Welcome to the website of the Friends of Cheltenham and Regional Cemeteries Inc.
Pictured left is Vice-Consul Stephen from the US Consul General Melbourne with a family descendant at the unveiling of the restored grave of US Civil War veteran John Henry Smith held at the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery on Sunday 9 Jun 2013. Just another example of the work we do to research, restore and remember. Check out our album for more photos.
The Friends of Cheltenham and Regional Cemeteries Inc. covers two historic burial grounds in Melbourne's south-east - Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery (Old Cheltenham Cemetery) (1864) and Cheltenham Memorial Park (New Cheltenham Cemetery) (1933).
Did you know?
That the office at the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery was built in 1915 to the design of Solon Peck at a cost of £210? The contractors were Caudwell Bros. of Mentone. Both the architect and the contractors are buried in the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery.
The Friends are currently working on a new on-line program called Burial Search and Relatonship Program covering the Cheltenham cemeteries to allow searching for burials easier and more accurately than the records provided by the Cemetery Trust. More...