Welcome to the website of the Friends of Cheltenham and Regional Cemeteries Inc.
Pictured left is at the unveiling of the restored grave of Adeline Hazel Wilson and family, one of two unveiling events held at the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery on Sunday 10 March 2013. Just another example of the work we do to research, restore and remember. Check out our Facebook albums for the Stephens and Wilson unveilings for more photos.
The Friends of Cheltenham and Regional Cemeteries Inc. covers two historic burial grounds in Melbourne's south-east - Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery (Old Cheltenham Cemetery) (1864) and Cheltenham Memorial Park (New Cheltenham Cemetery) (1933).
Did you know?
That the office at the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery was built in 1915 to the design of Solon Peck at a cost of £210? The contractors were Caudwell Bros. of Mentone. Both the architect and the contractors are buried in the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery.
The Melbourne Benevolent Asylum: Haven of Rest is our fourth book published in the Remembering Them series. More...
On 5 August 1862, a small parcel of land measuring 2 acres and 2 roods was reserved for the site of a public cemetery "for Mordialloc and South Moorabbin". This is earliest known instance of the Cheltenham Pioneer Cemetery which opened on 3 Oct 1864 though the first interment did not take place until the following March.